How to Become a Teacher in Canada

In this blog, we’ll discuss the eligibility criteria to become a teacher in Canada, the average salary for teaching jobs in each province and how to get a teaching certification.

A Newcomer's Journey,Accreditation and Licensing,Career Success and Planning,Education and Training

July 20, 2023

It’s a good time to be an internationally-trained teacher in Canada. Teaching positions are available across all provinces. In this blog, we’ll discuss the eligibility criteria to become a teacher in Canada, the average salary for teaching jobs in each province and how to get a teaching certification.  

Most teaching positions require a bachelor’s degree in Education and a provincial certificate. If you would like to become a teacher in Canada, it can take some time. It is recommended to start this process before immigrating, if that is an option. Employers will also assess an internationally-trained teacher’s recent teaching experience, proficiency in English and/or French as well as their familiarity with the Canadian education system. Character references and background checks will also be carried out before a formal job offer is made.  

How Much Does a Teacher Make in Canada? 

A teacher’s salary is based on many factors, including the experience and education they bring to the role. The province that they are based in will also impact the salary they earn each year. For example, recent research reveals that the highest salary a teacher in Montreal earns is $82,585 compared with Edmonton, where the lowest salary a teacher earns is over $55,000 per annum. For an internationally-trained teacher, salary is an important consideration when determining what city to relocate to.  

Getting Qualified as a Teacher in Canada 

If you want to become a teacher in Canada, the first step is to determine if your foreign credential is recognized. If the qualification is recognized, getting an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) will prove that it meets Canadian standards for teaching. internationally-trained teachers must have a provincial teaching certificate and a license. Both of these can be obtained by joining a teacher’s association in a particular province or territory. Two employment references and a recent police certificate are also needed along with a temporary work permit or permanent status in Canada. If an internationally-trained teacher can provide all the above documentation, they are likely to find employment in Canada. The Department of Employment and Social Development Canada state that career opportunities in Canada vary slightly by province. In Quebec, the Northwest Territories and BC, the chances of an internationally-trained teacher finding work are very good. In places like Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, however, teaching roles are more limited so it may take a bit longer to find employment. 

Life in a Canadian School 

Kindergarten education starts at the age of four or five across all provinces. Most Canadian schools have boys and girls learning together in the same classroom. Each province and territory has a specific curriculum that students must meet each year in order to move on to the next grade. Primary education starts from grade 1 to between grades six and eight, depending on the province. More information about the Canadian education system is available on the IRCC website.  

Windmill Microlending Helps Teachers Get Licensed 

At Windmill, we offer low-interest microloans of up to $15,000 to internationally-trained teachers with permanent status. A loan from us can be used to pay for the costs of getting a teaching certificate, an Educational Credential Assessment, language courses and even living expenses while pursuing further education. We are proud to offer additional resources for newcomers including mentorship, financial planning and career success coaching. After receiving a Windmill microloan, our clients significantly increase their incomes by an average of 3.5x and are less likely to be under-employed. 

If you are an internationally-trained teacher with permanent status in Canada, why not apply for a Windmill microloan to help you resume your teaching career? More information about our loans and the application process are available to view here.  

Related Posts

No items found.